2017-10-23 Posted in 1ST Airport Taxis
History of Stockwood House
Established in 1740 – Stockwood House was explicitly instituted for the Crawley family who had held the ownership of the land since 1708. Despite the history, the word Stockwood was only used for ‘the old mansion’ on the land. It received the name by neighbouring the Stockwood Park. History reveals that this house was demolished during its construction when John Crawley, a prominent member of the Crawley family ordered its demolition while living in a nearby mansion of Rothamsted Manor, it all happened in 1738.
The total cost of the manor for its construction was £60,000. The Crawley family lived in the Stockwood House until the 20 th century when the second world war was broken-out. The locals of Bedfordshire were acknowledged of the history of this house after when a book by the name ‘History of Bedfordshire Family’ came out which had complete lineage history of famous families from Bedfordshire.
A Hospital for Children
Stockwood House served as a hospital during the second world war for children, mainly suffering from a hip disease (Perthes Disease). The children were not directly brought to the house but were transferred from the Alexandra Hospital (formerly at Swanley, Kent) in single deck buses.
The reason of such moving was due to present danger at that time of its location during the WWII. Initially, all the patients were taken to Luton and Dunstable Hospital (opened in 1939) for X-rays as the Stockwood House did not have X-ray machines but were later added. Stockwood House became quite an excellent medical shelter for children which provided the Luton Council to grant funding of £100,000 to Stockwood House in 1945 and requested to lease the house for the hospital along with adjacent park ‘Stockwood Park’.
Take it Down
Stockwood House completed its tenure as the successful hospital of children until 1964 when it was pulled down due to its poor condition and financial instabilities.
One of the reasons for it was led by the closure of Alexandra Hospital in 1958 by the Ministry of Health because it was further moved to Nyn Park in Hertfordshire.
Today Stockwood House is running female-only residential care services under the name of Vivre Care. They currently provide medical assistance to adult females who suffer from severe and permanent eating disorders.
The fundamental purpose of the care centre is to admit such patients and look after their health to lessen the long-lasting effects. So far, Vivre Care has been doing a great job, by facilitating hundreds of patients with disorders.